Saturday 20 June 2015

#EdVentures Part 6: Two amazing places with two amazing educators.


I met Joe Mazza face to face for the first time yesterday. We have been communicating via Twitter and Voxer for a few years. Joe was a guest moderator on #SatChatOc back in July 2014. His topic was creating a partnership with parents. Joe was the person who connected Derrick and I before Derrick visited Sydney and Wenona. He includes me in many of his edu-activities for which I'm very grateful.

After Joe picked me up from the train station, we headed to the University of Pennsylvania. There I met Bob Jarvis (http://www.gse.upenn.edu/pcel/programs/leei/) and Martha. Joe asked me to do a podcast and here's the link. https://soundcloud.com/leadlearner/pd-for-teachers-leaders-in-australia-an-interview-w-andrea-stringer We chatted about TeachMeets, Professional Development, #satchatoc & Twitter.

From Penn we headed to Wilmington where Principal El and his staff greeted us with a very warm welcome. We sat around a table and talked shop. At one point, I think we were convincing Principal El to connect with other leaders on Voxer. We talked about how Twitter connects all educators, regardless of location, position or experience. On Twitter or Voxer, we are all learners and it flattens the hierarchy. From there we grabbed a bite to eat on the waterfront as I was told to save some room for a Philly cheesesteak.

There were many photos taken that day and not by me!
To end the day, I had dinner with Joe, his wife, Lauren, and their two beautiful children, Molly & Mark. And of course, I ate my first Philly Cheesesteak in Philly! While driving back to the station, Joe made a quick stop and encouraged me run up the ‘Rocky’ steps. It was a great finish to a wonderful day of connecting and building relationships. Thanks to two amazing educators in two amazing places.



Gratitude Journal-
Joe & Lauren Mazza & family
Principal El & Staff

2 comments:

  1. Cultural experience, relationship building and professional reflection. What. Gift is a Wenona Fellowship. So jealous!! Enjoy. πŸ‡¦πŸ‡ΊπŸ‡ΊπŸ‡Έ

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful meeting so many educators in many different contexts, Thank you for reading Sharryn.

    ReplyDelete